CG Common Ground | A ranch-land sponsor diligence (Mountain West, 2025 to 2026)
The decision and the reasoningCompleted

The decision and the reasoning

A sponsor with land, water, and a package that argued with itself

The sponsor came to us with what looked like a sourcing problem. He held the land free and clear, high country in the Mountain West with certified water wells on it and an appraisal behind it, and he wanted a development partner and a raise to turn the parcel into a homesite community. His own account of what he needed was money: someone to find the lender or the investor and get the raise closed. That is the account most sponsors give, and it is usually the wrong one.

Where he actually was took a week of reading to see. The deal had an investor deck, an underwriting model, a named fund as a backer, a senior lender's letter of intent, a proposed investor entity for the equity, and a compensation proposal for the incoming developer. Every one of those pieces was a claim, and none of them had been checked against the others, let alone against a primary source. The deck and the model described two different businesses. The fund could not be found. The letter of intent had lapsed. The investor entity's principals could not be confirmed. And the compensation on offer was convertible notes and subscription paper issued by the sponsor's own holding entity, payable only if the raise the rest of the package was supposed to carry actually closed.

What he needed was not a placement agent. He needed his package read against itself before a real lender read it, the three claims his financing story leaned on checked at their source, and a deal structure that would still stand if the next claim failed too. The people in it were the sponsor and his small team, the senior lender, the outside contact who had introduced the investor entity and whom the sponsor's own people had already called amateurish, our capital partner on the capital side, and me in the diligence and structuring seat. Everyone in the chain around a raise, the broker, the placement agent, the sponsor's own advisor, is paid on close. Nobody in that chain is paid to go looking for the contradiction that kills it. That is why the first check I ran was the cheapest one, and the one everyone skips.

Verify first, then counter; never take the sponsor's paper

Three decisions, each against an obvious alternative.

Read the package against itself before reading it against the market. The obvious move was to take the deck out to capital and let the market tell us what it thought. I did not, because a deck and a model that disagree are not a formatting problem; they are two different loans. A lot-sale subdivision repays its senior land loan out of one-time lot closings. A resort repays out of stabilized operating cash flow. Those are two different lenders, two different underwriting standards, and one piece of collateral cannot secure both repayment mechanisms at once. Until the sponsor picked one business, there was nothing to show anyone.

Counter, do not walk. Once the fund could not be found and the letter of intent turned out to be dead, the defensible move was to close the file. Most practitioners treat an unverifiable reference in a sponsor's own deck as a character verdict and leave, and that is a defensible call. I stayed, for one reason: the paperwork and the asset are different objects, checked by different methods, and a failure in one is not evidence about the other. The fund, the letter and the investor entity are documents, checked against registries and a lender. The land, the water and the appraisal are physical and financial facts, checked against surveys, yield certifications and comparable sales. Three documents failing told me the package was bad. It did not tell me the land was. So the decision was to reprice and rebuild around the paperwork failure, not to exit on it, on the condition that the asset itself gets held to the same standard the paper just failed. That condition is still open, and I come back to it at the end.

Refuse the paper. The sponsor's proposal was to pay the incoming developer in convertible notes and subscription paper issued by his own holding entity. The question I asked was whose risk that paper transferred, and the answer was all of it, onto us. Paper issued by the sponsor, convertible on terms the sponsor sets, pays only if the raise closes, and the raise was the thing the diligence had just found resting on a fund nobody could locate and a letter that had expired. Accepting it would have meant working for free unless the deal we had just discredited closed anyway. I named it a walk-away condition, not a negotiating point, and it stayed one.

How I came at this one

The question I asked first was what I was actually being asked to sell: the land, or the paperwork wrapped around it. That question fit because a sponsor-led land deal borrows all of its credibility from the asset, and a real asset makes every claim beside it feel verified when none of them have been. Separating the two is the whole job.